Maple vs. Oak Hardwood Flooring
While the decision to install, replace or upgrade hardwood flooring in your home is an easy one, choosing which type is another matter. With so many options on the market today, picking the perfect wood floor may seem like a daunting task, involving over 50 species, and a myriad of types and finishes, but narrowing your selection early on will save you a great deal of time and effort. Two of the most popular, durable, and readily available types of hardwood flooring are maple and oak, both of which have a number of positive attributes, and are available as pre-finished or unfinished, and engineered, or solid wood form.
Contact us online today, or call the experts at Elegant Floor Service at 800-417-3172, for maple, or oak hardwood flooring installation, refinishing, or repair in Northern Virginia, Maryland, or Washington, DC.
Maple Hardwood Flooring
Maple is light blond in color, with a subtle grain pattern. The smooth texture, combined with the light color make maple hardwood flooring the ideal choice for those who prefer a clean, modern look. It’s worth noting that not all maple hardwood is alike, with a variety of types and grades to choose from. The benefits of maple include:
- Durability. Maple is one of the hardest domestic hardwoods on the market, making it incredibly durable and dent-resistant.
- Consistent grain. Subtle graining has fewer imperfections, for a cleaner look.
- Ease of maintenance. The frequency of sweeping or vacuuming required will depend on your lifestyle, but apart from this consistent routine, all that is required to maintain your maple hardwood flooring is a weekly mopping.
- Affordable. Wide availability and choice of grade, make maple one of the more affordable options for hardwood flooring.
Oak Hardwood Flooring
There are two main types of oak hardwood flooring:
- Red oak. Distinguishable by reddish tones, and prominent grain patterns.
- White oak. Has more brown tones, and is harder than red oak, with less prominent graining.
Oak is a more traditional choice for hardwood flooring, and considered to be one of the oldest flooring materials in North America. Popular for its rich, warm tones, and prominent, distinctive patterning, oak is a timeless option guaranteed to transform the look of any room in your home. The advantages of oak hardwood flooring include:
- Durability. Oak is an exceptionally strong wood, resistant to dings and scratches. The white variety is impervious to fungi and insects, and all types are resistant to splitting.
- Character. Warm, rich tones, and uniquely patterned wood grains add to the character and charm of oak hardwood flooring.
- Easy to stain. The slightly porous nature of oak makes it very receptive to staining, providing even more design choices and flexibility.
Choosing The Right Hardwood Flooring
In the battle between maple vs. oak hardwood flooring, there is no clear winner, as both have a number of advantages. No matter which one you choose, professional hardwood flooring installation, repair, or refinishing by Elegant Floor Service, is the key to your satisfaction.
With so many woods, colors, and grades of hardwood to choose from there’s no need to look any further, and if you need help deciding which type of flooring is best for your home and family, we can help with that too. Once your flooring is installed, call Elegant Floor Service for routine wood floor maintenance, to keep your investment looking and feeling like new.
For a free hardwood flooring estimate, contact us online, or give us a call at 800-417-3172, today.