So it’s time to refinish your hardwood floors. But what can you expect from the project? And what can you do to prepare and stay stress-free as you plan and begin the process? We’ve outlined some tips below to help you stay a step ahead and avoid too much hassle as you restore that fresh look to your wood floors.
Do Your Research & Hire an Experienced Contractor
This probably goes without saying, but, like any home remodeling project, you’ll want to do your research before you start refinishing hardwood floors. Visit various showrooms to get an idea of how properly refinished floors should look and take the time to compare several contractors work—we recommend looking at a minimum of three.
To make the best choice:
- Ask for references
- Look at a portfolio of previous work
- Make sure whoever you hire is fully licensed and insured
- Make sure there is a written contract and that every detail is included
- Check Angie’s List for reviews
- Get price quotes and look for anything out of the ordinary—either much lower or much higher than the competition
Preparing for Your Hardwood Floor Project
Once you’ve hired a wood floor contractor, it’s time to start preparing to begin the project. Consider the following:
- Where should you relocate your furniture?
- Will refinishing the floors limit access to the restroom?
- Do you have children or pets? Where will they be during refinishing?
- Will you be home during the process or do you need to plan to go elsewhere?
- How long will it take before you can walk on the newly refinished floors?
- Which room will this project take place in and how will this impact your daily life?
When you’re making these decisions, keep in mind that refinishing hardwood floors can be quite noisy—so if you typically work from home, you may want to plan accordingly. Any sealants will also need time to dry, typically around 24 hours.
Refinishing Hardwood Floors in Maryland, Washington, DC & Virginia
Choosing a contractor with experience and a reputation for excellence is critical to getting the best results—and Elegant Floor Service has gained such distinction for refinishing hardwood floors in Maryland, Washington, DC, and Virginia. Whether you have oak floors or maple floors, we can help you bring back the shine and make your flooring look new again.
Contact us today to see the Elegant Floor difference for yourself!