So you’ve heard that you should have your floors refinished, or maybe you’ve just heard the term refinishing floating around. But what exactly does the process entail? What can you expect from a wood floor refinishing job and is it worth the expense?
At Elegant Floor Service, we’ve put together a basic guide to refinishing so you can get a better understanding of what’s being done to your floors and how it can help them look new again.
What Is Hardwood Floor Refinishing?
Before we get into the details, here’s a basic overview of what hardwood floor refinishing is and what its purpose is. Essentially, it’s a process that’s completed when your flooring starts looking dull and unattractive, with the intent to:
- Restore color and shine
- Repair scratches and marks
- Protect your floors from future damage
How to Refinish Wood Floors
Now that you’ve seen why refinishing is critical to the general upkeep of your floors, we’ll get a little deeper into how to refinish wood floors. The process is typically completed in a few key steps:
- We begin by preparing your floors—filling in minor cracks, replacing badly damaged boards, and pushing in any protruding nails. And of course, we’ll have to relocate any furniture that’s in the way.
- Then, we’ll sand your floors to remove scratches and marks using a variety of equipment to get all the edges and tight spaces.
- Once sanding is complete, we’ll vacuum and clean up the space to eliminate any dust.
- Finally, we’ll help you find the best stain for your floors and apply it accordingly.
- We’ll finish it all with a top coat that will make your floors look polished and seal them up for future protection.
- Once we’re all done, all you have to do is let the finish dry for about 24 hours and you can walk on your polished new hardwood floors once again!
Have more questions on how to refinish wood floors? View more information on the hardwood floor sanding process here or give us a call with your inquiries!
Schedule Wood Floor Refinishing in Maryland, Washington, DC & Virginia
If wood floor refinishing isn’t done correctly, it can damage your flooring rather than give you that shiny, new look you wanted—so it’s best left to a professional flooring company with the experience and training to handle such a delicate job. Fortunately, Elegant Floor Service has the tools and staff you need to get the job done right, even on the toughest of floors.
Let us help you restore elegance to your flooring—call us today to schedule wood floor refinishing in Maryland, Washington, DC, and Virginia!