Hardwood Floor Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
There is no question that wood floors are a fantastic addition to any home, both for their aesthetic value and return on investment. However, as with any flooring material, you may have concerns from time to time with regards to maintenance, selection, installation, or repair. Here is a list of some of the more frequently asked questions from those with existing hardwood flooring and others who are considering making the switch.
Wood Flooring FAQ
- How can I choose the right wood flooring for my home? In this case, knowledge is power. One of our dedicated flooring specialists will visit your home with a wide selection of samples and follow up with additional samples as needed.
- Can I install hardwood flooring in my kitchen or bathroom(s)? Yes! Because of moisture concerns in both of these rooms, engineered hardwood is preferable to solid wood, as it is more flexible with varying temperatures and humidity levels. Hardwoods are able to withstand the heavy traffic in your kitchen, such as oak or mahogany, and in the bathroom, special finishes can be applied to protect floors from water damage.
- Which are the most durable hardwoods? Brazilian Ebony is the most durable hardwood on the market today.
- How do I maintain my hardwood floors? Keep floors looking new with regular cleaning with a soft bristled vacuum brush or broom. Wash floors weekly with a damp, never wet, mop, using plain water or a specialized hardwood floor cleaner and wipe up spills immediately.
- How can I protect my floors from scratches? Use furniture pads to minimize scratches and place protective mats in entryways to avoid tracking in dirt.
- How do I know when it’s time to refinish my floors? Dull patches, cracks, deep scratches, and staining are all signs your floors need refinishing. Depending on the level of traffic to the area, plan to refinish floors every 3 to 4 years.
- Can I install my new flooring myself? There are any number of DIY projects around the home, but hardwood floor installation should be left to professionals with the right tools, experience, and knowledge.
- What should I look for when choosing a hardwood installation specialist? Choose a company that has been in business in your area for a number of years, is fully licensed, and will provide you a list of local references.
- What is the difference between solid and engineered wood flooring? Solid wood flooring is from a single slab of wood, can be sanded and refinished multiple times, and is more prone to expansion, shrinkage, or warping. Engineered wood flooring has a solid core with a layer of hardwood veneer on top, making it more resistant to heat and humidity.
- What should I do if I have water damage? Whether due to humidity, spills, or leaks, water damage is detrimental to wood flooring. Time is of the essence, so clean spills as you go, and call an expert if floors are cupping, warping, or there is major spillage or flooding.
- Why are my hardwood floors looking cloudy? Moisture damage and inappropriate cleaning products are the two most likely culprits. Ensure the solution you’re using is reputable and intended for hardwood flooring, and use only a damp mop to clean.
- Can my hardwood floors be restored to their original condition? Floors with deep scratches, or worn from heavy traffic can be made to look new with professional restoration techniques.
Professional Hardwood Floor Services in Silver Spring, MD
To hire an experienced, professional hardwood floor installer in Maryland, Northern Virginia, or the Washington, D.C. area, contact Elegant Floor Service of Silver Spring.