Hardwood floors can be a major investment in your home or office, and they’re meant to last you years. But it’s important to ask your contractor the right questions when you’re buying hardwood floors to ensure you make a well-informed decision and get the most of your purchase.
We recommend asking:
- Is solid or engineered hardwood flooring better for me? Engineered wood flooring is typically better suited to areas of moisture or humidity, or if you’re installing your new floors above concrete. Solid hardwood floors are a better choice for rooms with heavy foot traffic, since they can be sanded and refinished many times.
- What is the right species for me? If you have little knowledge of hardwood floor species, your contractor can offer recommendations based on the appearance you’re going for—whether you want light or dark floors—and how durable you’ll need your floors to be. At Elegant Floor Service, we can bring samples to your home to help you compare your options.
- What does the warranty cover? See if there’s a finish warranty and a structural warranty to protect against normal defects that come with age. You’ll also want to know whether it’s a lifetime warranty or how long it lasts, if not, and how much it costs.
- How do I take care of my floors after they’re installed? An experienced hardwood floor contractor can offer recommendations for ongoing maintenance or provide you with a maintenance package and take care of it for you. They can also advise you on what to do to minimize damage if you have a spill.
- What is the cost of installing hardwood floors? Installation costs can include a number of things depending on the contractor. Cost-per-square-foot of flooring is one aspect, and you’ll need to consider that you may need 10 percent more wood than the dimensions of the room. Some contractors may include fees for removing furniture, disposing old floor covers, preparing the sub flooring, delivery the product, installing the product, and the materials in the total cost, or they may add a separate charge for certain portions of the project.
Schedule Your Consultation with a Wood Floor Contractor Serving MD, VA & DC
If you’re buying hardwood floors in the Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC areas, Elegant Floor Service can help. We offer free estimates on our wood floor installation projects and can walk you through the product selection process in greater detail during an initial consultation. Make sure you have an idea of your style and budget preferences, along with the dimensions of your room, the moisture level in your home, and what type of sub-floor you have so we can better answer your questions. Contact us today for all the information you need on buying hardwood floors in the DC area.